[mod-users] first thoughts

Niko niko at ente-x.de
Fri Apr 8 01:43:17 UTC 2016

hey there
so i've been playing around with the mod some hours since i picked it up
two weeks ago, and its a greatbox. i'm pleased by it's sound: i plugged
it to the effectloop of my valve-amp (in order to have the distorted
signals to work with) and i cant really hear a difference. (i do
believe, that i actually do hear a subtle difference, but i didnt do a
blind test, by someone else dialing the send-knob. (before i got that
amp, 15 years ago, i had a cheap zoom-multi, wich i instantly threw away
when i got the amp, cause it was just killing all the dynamics – since
then i only used analog pedals))
can't wait to plug in an extra mic for our singer and start messing with
that :D
i started being creative, i love that broken sounding clipping on the
rakkarack-distotion on a clean sound. used it at the bandpractice, but
unfortunately the system hang, audio stopped working, and i had to
reboot 3 times within 4 hours, so i cant risk using it on our next gig
while i'd love to :'(

well, i found some bugs and had some ideas, i'll post the bugs on
github, as long as i didnt read about em elsewhere.
i believe to better not post the suggestions on github. right?

some already suggested ideas are quite high on my whishlist, such as
"save settings of a board offline", "whole board presets" and "tuner".

MOST WANTED:
most important for me: true bypass. this is a killer (atm). as long as i
dont need a pedal, it has to be on true bypass. this is especially
crucial right now, while the system keeps hanging from time to time, but
it should be implemented anyway.
  - please make the true bypass switchable by the footswitches. i guess
you didnt (yet?), because there would be some latency?
    for me, latency wouldnt be a problem, since i wouldn't use it within
an song.
    i think, just adding a box to the utilities, having a switch for
left and right, would be the way to go
  - how about saving the true-bypass setting together with the
pedalboard. i guess this could free some resources?
  - when both outputs are on bypass, one could think of pausing
audioprocessing by the system, avoiding heat and saving some
(cpu)lifetime ;)

FEATURE WHISHES / IDEAS:
  - option to run the headphones "mono". so that when there is just one
output used or bass on the left and guitar on the right i would hear
both signals on both ears.
    there could be also an automatic, for the situation when only one
output is assigned

  - under utilities there is that a/b switch (switchbox2). when
assinging the footswitch the LED is always green, this isn't that
helpfull. on/off or green/red would be nice, either as new deafult or
make it customizable.

  - a/b switch again: please add a 2-channel version. if you havn't
already. (or should i take a look t the plugindevstuff and try myself?
not sure if my skille are sufficient)

  - a switchbox4 would be great! :)  (so stepping on the footswitch
would switch to the next channel - just linke the banks handling)

  - double tap! many loopers have doubletap-functioanlity. so if there
would be Footswitch 1 Double Tap and Footswitch 2 Double Tab to the
dropdownmenu on assinging plugin-controls, we would already have 4
things we could control. especially for the superlooper this would be
great already, in order to be able to playpause, record, reset and undo.

  - i know someone asked for making the footswitches assignable more
than once. while your reply lets me guess, its not the easiest thing to
do, how about just an easy utility again, that has 1 footswitch, and
when fired it switches a couple of other switches? so, once you place it
on the pedalboard you would have one more switch in the dropdownmenu.

COSMETICS:
  - for exampe: my current bandpractice-default is FS1 for mute (using
the ToggleSwitch4) and FS2 for some gain-boost, Knob2 does the
gainadjust. Knob 1 is not assigned. so theres "knob #1" standing on the
display, which isnt too nice - in offlinemode. it could stay just empty,
or be customizable (hehe), or just display the banks/pedalboards name.

QUESTIONS:
  - since the mod hangs some times, can we support you with some kind of
crashdumps, tail'ed logfiles. if so: how?

  - i can't install plugins from the plugin store right now, it says no
authentication. i can reste the xruns, so i believe i have 0.11.3
running. guess this is gonna solve itself at some point, right? ;)

so long and thanx for your work again!
nïkö

--
Niko